A Travellerspoint blog

First Full Day At Sea

Besides the Terrace dining room, the Waves Café, and the Grand Dining Room, the shop has four specialty restaurants: Polo Steak House, Red Ginger (Asian), Toscana (Italian), and Jacques (French).

Today was our first full day at sea. The ship sailed a full day and night to transport us east from Bora Bora through an island dotted sea to our next stop, Fakarava.

We opted for breakfast in our room—room service is available 24 hours a day. After eating and freshening up for the day, Susie headed out for a 9:30 needle craft class and John found a nice shady spot on deck to write the Bora Bora newsletters. The ship has plenty of activities to keep folks busy if they choose to be.

Later in the morning, the two of us met back in our room and then headed poolside. Susie opted to find a air conditioned spot inside while John chose to stay outdoors; Susie would find him at 12:30 for lunch. Needless to say, once you get 120 old, white, gray and balding men stretched out on deck loungers and snoring around a pool, they all start to look alike...so despite two or three laps around the pool at lunch time, Susie couldn’t find John. Assuming that he was off exploring, she ate lunch alone and went back to the stateroom. In the meantime, John (who had fallen asleep in a shady back corner on the pool deck) woke up an hour and 45 minutes later. He trekked back down to the stateroom just in time to hook up once again with Susie so they could head to the auditorium for a lecture on the adventures of Captain Cook. The rest of the afternoon was low key and relaxing.
Around 5:30, we met Jerry in one of the lounge areas for happy hour. Michelle was feeling a bit under the weather, so she chose to rest in their stateroom. This evening was the “Captain’s Welcome”, so cocktails and appetizers were free for an hour. The three of us had a drink or two, visited with some other passengers, and listened to a string quartet playing nearby.

We decided to eat dinner in the Terrace dining room, where the meals are always served buffet style. Tonight, the menu was Polynesian fare (along with other more domestic dishes). Everything was tasty and filling (very filling, because no one can say “no thank you” to desserts…).
After dinner, with a promise to meet up tomorrow, Jerry returned to Michelle in their room and we headed to the Marina auditorium to dance to some big band tunes. At 9:30, the band switched gears to play sixties tunes for a musical dance show called “Grooving”. We stayed for a few songs and then retired for the evening.

Posted by jeburns55 15:28 Archived in French Polynesia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint